LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 87
0 members and 87 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2021, 07:22 PM   #4951
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 6,993
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Come for the puns, stay for the apiology (and just a nice smackdown of the worst type of class-action Plaintiffs' attorneys) - https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datasto...5/19-16618.pdf
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is offline  
Old 07-22-2021, 08:48 PM   #4952
Icky Thump
Registered User
 
Icky Thump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,255
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Come for the puns, stay for the apiology (and just a nice smackdown of the worst type of class-action Plaintiffs' attorneys) - https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datasto...5/19-16618.pdf
"Indeed, these guidelines account for the fact that busy bees cannot be prevented from foraging on different types of flowers, despite their keepers’ best efforts.
"
Wait, so does that mean that every chicken product is mislabled because it doesn't say "part chicken shit?"

CLASS ACTION BABY! Retirement here I come!

Next they're gonna tell me Tony the Tiger isn't real.
__________________
You can breathe, you can blink, you can cry. Hell, you're all gonna be doing that!

Last edited by Icky Thump; 07-22-2021 at 08:52 PM..
Icky Thump is offline  
Old 07-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #4953
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 6,993
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
"Indeed, these guidelines account for the fact that busy bees cannot be prevented from foraging on different types of flowers, despite their keepers’ best efforts.
"
Wait, so does that mean that every chicken product is mislabled because it doesn't say "part chicken shit?"

CLASS ACTION BABY! Retirement here I come!

Next they're gonna tell me Tony the Tiger isn't real.
Too late - https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...t-all/1859009/
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is offline  
Old 07-31-2021, 11:01 PM   #4954
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Corner Office
Posts: 85,635
Re: Objectively intelligent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_idiot Ty, hitting close to home?
__________________
I will not suffer a fool- but I do seem to read a lot of their posts
Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old 08-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #4955
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!
 
SEC_Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: A pool of my own vomit
Posts: 732
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Just popping in to say that if Republicans weren't still so terrible, this whole eviction moratorium thing is exactly the kind of thing that would drive me back to them.

"We did this illegal thing because it will take the courts some time to work it out and declare it illegal" is not a good look.

Last edited by SEC_Chick; 08-06-2021 at 10:32 AM..
SEC_Chick is offline  
Old 08-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #4956
sebastian_dangerfield
Moderator
 
sebastian_dangerfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monty Capuletti's gazebo
Posts: 25,714
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Just popping in to say that if Republicans weren't still so terrible, this whole eviction moratorium thing is exactly the kind of thing that would drive me back to them.

"We did this illegal thing because it will take the courts some time to work it out and declare it illegal" is not a good look.
The CDC moratorium isn't as effective as people think it is in re: landlords. Even during the pandemic, a landlord could simply allow leases to end, refuse to renew, and then file an ejectment against the prior tenant/now squatter. Some courts read the original moratorium as barring ejectment, but many (most here) did not.

I think the intention of these CDC edicts is to freak out lenders and servicers. Unlike most small to mid-sized landlords, the servicers and lenders are targets for class actions. The big servicers are still freezing efforts to eject people for fear of being sued despite the courts allowing cases to go forward. Servicers are asking for continuances of foreclosure proceedings and sales.
__________________
All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 08-06-2021 at 11:45 AM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline  
Old 08-06-2021, 08:42 PM   #4957
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,514
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Just popping in to say that if Republicans weren't still so terrible, this whole eviction moratorium thing is exactly the kind of thing that would drive me back to them.

"We did this illegal thing because it will take the courts some time to work it out and declare it illegal" is not a good look.
Haven't followed it, but I don't understand how the federal government could have the power to impose an eviction moratorium.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline  
Old 08-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #4958
Icky Thump
Registered User
 
Icky Thump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,255
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Just popping in to say that if Republicans weren't still so terrible, this whole eviction moratorium thing is exactly the kind of thing that would drive me back to them.

"We did this illegal thing because it will take the courts some time to work it out and declare it illegal" is not a good look.
Sorry, I am the one stupid fuck that paid his mortgage on time the last 17 months.
__________________
You can breathe, you can blink, you can cry. Hell, you're all gonna be doing that!
Icky Thump is offline  
Old 08-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #4959
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 19,896
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Just popping in to say that if Republicans weren't still so terrible, this whole eviction moratorium thing is exactly the kind of thing that would drive me back to them.

"We did this illegal thing because it will take the courts some time to work it out and declare it illegal" is not a good look.
I haven't followed this one much at all, other than hearing what a particular bank attorney I married has to say about it, but didn't it survive a Supreme Court challenge just last month?

And isn't the idea of doing blatantly unconstitutional stuff just to muck up the works until it gets overturned basically the Republicans strategy for the last twenty years ? I mean, how many unconstitutional laws on just civil rights and abortion have been passed by the fucking republicans? I really haven't counted since my bingo card got completely filled, all 25 squares, during the Reagan administration.

I'm thinking you're not someone to complain about that shit.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline  
Old 08-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #4960
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,514
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I haven't followed this one much at all, other than hearing what a particular bank attorney I married has to say about it, but didn't it survive a Supreme Court challenge just last month?

And isn't the idea of doing blatantly unconstitutional stuff just to muck up the works until it gets overturned basically the Republicans strategy for the last twenty years ? I mean, how many unconstitutional laws on just civil rights and abortion have been passed by the fucking republicans? I really haven't counted since my bingo card got completely filled, all 25 squares, during the Reagan administration.

I'm thinking you're not someone to complain about that shit.
I don't think your post is fair to SEC Chick. It's not like she was defending everything Republicans have done since 1980.

It seems to me that there's a big difference between a President who is told that there are constitutional problems with what s/he wants to do and presses ahead *but* also respects the courts when they say no man, and a President (like Trump) who undermines judicial review and the rule of law. (SEC Chick has been pretty clear in her repugnance for Trump.)

Still don't understand how the federal government has the authority to do anything about evictions on this scale.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline  
Old 08-09-2021, 02:56 PM   #4961
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 19,896
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Still don't understand how the federal government has the authority to do anything about evictions on this scale.
I think there was a decision on it last month. I believe the CDC was responsible for the regulation.

But I haven't read or focused on this. Feds can do an awful lot when it comes to commerce during an emergency.
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline  
Old 08-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #4962
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex
 
Tyrone Slothrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 32,514
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I think there was a decision on it last month. I believe the CDC was responsible for the regulation.

But I haven't read or focused on this. Feds can do an awful lot when it comes to commerce during an emergency.
Let's assume that Congress passed a law that gives the CDC the power to do whatever it did. What enumerated power gives Congress the power to interfere in residential real estate leases across the country? If anything is not in interstate commerce, it's that. Definitionally, real estate is not moving across state borders.
__________________
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline  
Old 08-09-2021, 09:44 PM   #4963
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
Registered User
 
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Government Yard in Trenchtown
Posts: 19,896
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Let's assume that Congress passed a law that gives the CDC the power to do whatever it did. What enumerated power gives Congress the power to interfere in residential real estate leases across the country? If anything is not in interstate commerce, it's that. Definitionally, real estate is not moving across state borders.
Well, you know, there's this pandemic and it has a huge impact on just about everything and keeping people in homes seems to be a part of containing it.

(reads some of the actual arguments)

OK, damn, this is strong stuff, maybe you're right. What is really convincing me is the third amendment argument. https://twitter.com/EthanBWinter/sta...003120640?s=20
__________________
A wee dram a day!
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline  
Old 08-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #4964
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 6,993
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I think there was a decision on it last month. I believe the CDC was responsible for the regulation.

But I haven't read or focused on this. Feds can do an awful lot when it comes to commerce during an emergency.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/09/polit...hip/index.html
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is offline  
Old 08-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #4965
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants
 
LessinSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pulling your finger
Posts: 6,993
Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
On how Biden and his cohort fucked up the optics - https://www.lawfareblog.com/anatomy-...oratorium-saga
__________________
Boogers!
LessinSF is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.0.1

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 PM.