LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 117
0 members and 117 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #2491
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
100%. It's pretty obvious that at the larger protests, most of the protestors are motivated by what they see happening in Gaza. It's no secret that many of them are Jewish. And then you get the weirdos and hangers-on and opportunists who show up, and some of them are pretty anti-semitic. There is a pretty clear tendency in the coverage of the protests to avoid discussing what the protests are about, and to focus on the opportunists and extremists.

Lots of people have been chanting "From the river to the sea...." I'd be surprised if many of them mean to be calling for the end of the state of Israel. I'm sure a few of them do.

It's pretty wild to see conservative goyim calling lefty Jews anti-semitic at the same time that conservatives have been mainstreaming anti-semitic tropes. Not good for the Jews.
I actually agree that most of those chanting FTRTTS don't know how it's taken. Most of the people chanting don't appear to know much about a lot of things. Which is where one is when one is 18-22.

Regarding Soros paranoia, it is amusing to see the right argue that a 93 year old Jew is bankrolling a worldwide antisemitism campaign. That's left me more than a little confused and giggling to myself.

But I do disagree that the antisemitism at hand is limited to a few fringe players. For too long, the academe has countenanced a weird view of the world that puts everyone into oppressor/oppressed buckets. I'm not going to cite Foucault, Derrida, or Marcuse, or any "post-modernists" as a source, largely because those people were nuts and deserve no more air than they've had, which is already far too much. But all of this "social justice" stuff and identity politics, all of which derives from the playpens of campuses (along with "Critical Theory" and "Gender Theory") has created a bizarre landscape in which grievance is paramount.

Somebody's rigging the system against you.
Somebody's in charge behind the scenes.
We must identify those oppressors!

Enter (dragged upon) Stage Left in this paranoid fiction, as always: The Jews.

It always happens. From Charlottesville, where the Right bleated about being replaced by Jews, to the campuses today, where Jews are "super colonizers" (and somehow, despite being the most oppressed minority, excluded from DEI efforts), when the rabble decides it needs a conspiracy to make sense of the world,* the Jews will be in the dock. So, no, I don't think it's but a small smattering of antisemites in the crowd at these protests. I think campuses are far too comfortable with the idea of Jews, or any generally successful and peaceful people that has done well, as oppressors. And this leads to an unfair and entirely unwarranted dislike or suspicion of them.

_____
* Gore Vidal said there are no conspiracies because the powerful all act in the same way, so they needn't connect. Don Draper said "there is no 'plan'... the universe is indifferent to you." The maniacs of the left on campus and the maniacs of the right at MAGA rallies would do well to understand that their lots in life are more a mix of randomness and their own decisions than any boogiemen running the world in a manner that cheats them.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; Yesterday at 12:34 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #2492
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
This is also a problematic generalization. Israel is not exterminating anyone. Israel is responding to a terrorist attack coordinated and run by the governing body of Gaza.
Presumably, we all agree that 10/7 was horrific and demands some response, and yet we all agree that there are possible responses that would be wrong. To take one example, I assume none of us think that Israel should nuke Qatar for having provided so much funding to Hamas, because it would kill so many innocent civilians.

Harping on how Hamas has chosen to hide among civilians, or on the compromised moral judgments of Arab governments, or reminding everyone how horrific 10/7 was -- none of that justifies the wanton killing of Palestinian civilians, any more than whatever Israel has done or not done in the past justifies what happened on 10/7. So much of what you are writing about this is an extending evasion of reckoning with the actual choices Israel is making and the resulting death toll.

And that, fundamentally, is what is driving most of the campus protests.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #2493
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
But I do disagree that the antisemitism at hand is limited to a few fringe players. For too long, the academe has countenanced a weird view of the world that puts everyone into oppressor/oppressed buckets. I'm not going to cite Foucault, Derrida, or Marcuse, or any "post-modernists" as a source, largely because those people were nuts and deserve no more air than they've had, which is already far too much. But all of this "social justice" stuff and identity politics, all of which derives from the playpens of campuses (along with "Critical Theory" and "Gender Theory") has created a bizarre landscape in which grievance is paramount.

Somebody's rigging the system against you.
Somebody's in charge behind the scenes.
We must identify those oppressors!

Enter (dragged upon) Stage Left in this paranoid fiction, as always: The Jews.
I'm not going to say there is no anti-semitism in academia, but if you were going to make a list of the places in society where it is a problem, academia would not be near the top of the list, and if you think anti-semitism is a problem elsewhere in our country, you cannot believe it's because academics are an important influence. Like, look at what Elon Musk is doing with Twitter.

Quote:
It always happens. From Charlottesville, where the Right bleated about being replaced by Jews, to the campuses today, where Jews are "super colonizers" (and somehow, despite being the most oppressed minority, excluded from DEI efforts), when the rabble decides it needs a conspiracy to make sense of the world,* the Jews will be in the dock. So, no, I don't think it's but a small smattering of antisemites in the crowd at these protests. I think campuses are far too comfortable with the idea of Jews, or any generally successful and peaceful people that has done well, as oppressors. And this leads to an unfair and entirely unwarranted dislike or suspicion of them.

_____
* Gore Vidal said there are no conspiracies because the powerful all act in the same way, so they needn't connect. Don Draper said "there is no 'plan'... the universe is indifferent to you." The maniacs of the left on campus and the maniacs of the right at MAGA rallies would do well to understand that their lots in life are more a mix of randomness and their own decisions than any boogiemen running the world in a manner that cheats them.
I mean, it's not crazy to see Israel as a colony. A great many Israelis came from Europe, displacing the people who were previously on the land. No one pretends that non-Jewish citizens of Israel have the same rights as the Jewish citizens. You don't have to read Foucault to connect those dots.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #2494
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
"Me conservative judge. Me hate what some people did at Columbia, so me punish all from Columbia!"
Actually, they only promised not to hire students who enroll at Columbia this fall or later, i.e. they chose to go to Columbia with knowledge aforesight.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #2495
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I'd be happy to say more, but you've made it clear that you don't want to engage and would rather engage in passive-aggressive sniping. Your call.
So then let me ask, you feel you’ve rat proofed your garage?

And, putting aside the ethnic slur, you believe Israel could simply do the same at its border to keep Palestinians out?
Old Today, 12:57 AM   #2496
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So then let me ask, you feel you’ve rat proofed your garage?
I hope so.

Quote:
And, putting aside the ethnic slur, you believe Israel could simply do the same at its border to keep Palestinians out?
No, that's not quite the way the metaphor works.