LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 127
0 members and 127 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:22 PM   #2446
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone View Post
Hi all! And for a bit of good news, no chemo for my wife and a roughly 3% chance of reoccurring; we'll take it.
Congratulations! I’m sorry to hear she went through this at all, but thrilled to hear it’s in rear view mirror now given those excellent odds.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:45 PM   #2447
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: This sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
I audibly gasped with surprise and sorrow when this came across my facebook feed.

This sort of shit shouldn't be happening to us as often as it is. I will miss him terribly.
Miserable goddamned disease. Merciless. And he had to deal with it twice. But I recall, in one exchange, he said he planted a tree and planned to see it reach full growth. Maybe he didn’t live long enough to do so, but that’s an attitude worth celebrating. Few folks could muster that finger-in-the-eye response to a terrible diagnosis. Can’t imagine he went out without a hell of a fight.

We argued a lot (although in recent years, there was probably more agreement than disagreement), but he knew his shit and one was always enlightened for having had the back and forth. Who else almost worked for Ian Bremmer? That’s some rarified air.

He was religious, I think. I hope he was right, and the food’s killer up there. That’s the least the universe could do - he certainly deserved more time.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:57 PM   #2448
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Some sock just asked me if GGG was also Spanky. Spanky worked in politics IIRC but he seemed really naive otherwise? But if history (Penske) has taught us anything it’s that you can make assumptions like that.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:43 AM   #2449
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Fucking sucks.

Many years ago, I saw the first squirrel who came to my house dodge a red-tailed hawk who was after her. It was here that I learned about squirrel evasion techniques.

When evading an aerial predator, squirrels take a position on a big branch near the trunk of a tree. When the hawk lands on top, they go to the bottom of the branch. When the hawk swings around to the bottom, the squirrel goes on top of the branch.

They were too far from me for me to be able to do anything but scream but it went on for a few minutes until the hawk flew away frustrated and our little buddy went to live on for many more years.

I feel like life for everything is a game of dodging predators. Get Covid, hope you don't get a clot, so you're on top of the branch. Get a lipid report with bad HDL, hide under the branch, lipids get better, you're on top of the branch.

Even though I never met GGG, we interacted on here a few times. Prayers go out to all and hope there truly is a better place for wonderful people like him.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:20 PM   #2450
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Some sock just asked me if GGG was also Spanky. Spanky worked in politics IIRC but he seemed really naive otherwise? But if history (Penske) has taught us anything it’s that you can make assumptions like that.
No. Spanky is/was a friend of mine from high school. We also lived together for two years during law school.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:10 PM   #2451
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
No. Spanky is/was a friend of mine from high school. We also lived together for two years during law school.
Ahh right.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:15 PM   #2452
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Fucking sucks.

Many years ago, I saw the first squirrel who came to my house dodge a red-tailed hawk who was after her. It was here that I learned about squirrel evasion techniques.

When evading an aerial predator, squirrels take a position on a big branch near the trunk of a tree. When the hawk lands on top, they go to the bottom of the branch. When the hawk swings around to the bottom, the squirrel goes on top of the branch.

They were too far from me for me to be able to do anything but scream but it went on for a few minutes until the hawk flew away frustrated and our little buddy went to live on for many more years.

I feel like life for everything is a game of dodging predators. Get Covid, hope you don't get a clot, so you're on top of the branch. Get a lipid report with bad HDL, hide under the branch, lipids get better, you're on top of the branch.

Even though I never met GGG, we interacted on here a few times. Prayers go out to all and hope there truly is a better place for wonderful people like him.
Nice imagery, but we had a mourning dove nest on our porch early Covid. When the chicks hatched it was a bright spot of hope. Then a fucking squirrel got in the nest and ate both chicks. Worst was it only had access because I left a chair on the porch that gave em a jumping location. Who knew they were even carnivores?

Point is I’d have let the fucker get eaten.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:05 PM   #2453
Icky Thump

Quote:
Nice imagery, but we had a mourning dove nest on our porch early Covid. When the chicks hatched it was a bright spot of hope. Then a fucking squirrel got in the nest and ate both chicks. Worst was it only had access because I left a chair on the porch that gave em a jumping location. Who knew they were even carnivores?

Point is I’d have let the fucker get eaten.
You’ve told us this before. Whatevs. Unsurprisingly missed the point.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 04-26-2024 at 06:14 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:17 PM   #2454
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
You’ve told us this before. Whatevs. Unsurprisingly missed the point.
Oh, don’t sulk. I got the point. It was a nice image as I said. And as we all go forward we all need to keep dodging the hawks. This month I started sticking a piece of plastic up my dick hole to drain retained urine, as an example. Trust me, I’m a fighter.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:24 PM   #2455
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Oh, don’t sulk. I got the point. It was a nice image as I said. And as we all go forward we all need to keep dodging the hawks. This month I started sticking a piece of plastic up my dick hole to drain retained urine, as an example. Trust me, I’m a fighter.
Forward.

It’s a good motto.

Life’s terminal. Enjoy every sandwich. I regret working hard, caring about the horseshit this McSociety tells us to, and being invested in thinking what I’ve done in service to commerce was real. I do not regret a single martini, line, pill, or cigarette.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzQuE1pR1w

Fuck. Drink. Eat the bad stuff.

Just don’t do anything that involves a syringe. That’s the line.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 04-26-2024 at 07:27 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:41 PM   #2456
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
He was often an ass, but he was our ass.
I feel a little bad about calling him creepy once apon a time, but he deserved it in the moment. Sucks that he's gone; for some reason I had the sense that things were going reasonably well.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:56 PM   #2457
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_Wendell_Ramone View Post
I feel a little bad about calling him creepy once apon a time, but he deserved it in the moment. Sucks that he's gone; for some reason I had the sense that things were going reasonably well.
Remission for years then it came back hard. Been pretty ill for awhile.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:45 PM   #2458
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Few folks could muster that finger-in-the-eye response to a terrible diagnosis. Can’t imagine he went out without a hell of a fight.
I'm in envy of the way that he and Chris (sorry, completely unable to come up with his LT sock just now) reacted to their respective illnesses. I wish I thought I had it in me, but I'm not sure I do. I am too used to living as if there'll always be another day. If and when the time comes, maybe I should wish for an unexpected and quick demise, though that would cruel too.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 06:20 PM   #2459
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
I'm in envy of the way that he and Chris (sorry, completely unable to come up with his LT sock just now) reacted to their respective illnesses. I wish I thought I had it in me, but I'm not sure I do. I am too used to living as if there'll always be another day. If and when the time comes, maybe I should wish for an unexpected and quick demise, though that would cruel too.
Same. I’ve had to handle a couple health issues in recent years. Cancer scares me silly. It’s the knowing and walking around in the immediate and tactile futility that seems unbearable. And the making myself a burden. In all sincerity, if it should be a long illness, as I’m watching a family member expire to now, I’m taking myself out. “Go out standing,” to borrow a Martin Sheen line I know you’ll recognize immediately.

I always take solace that to be born where we’ve been, at this time in history, is quite remarkably fortunate. We’re globally of the .0001%. If you’re in a Boeing and the engine flies off and it starts diving toward the nearest mountains, know, in a much broader and far more significant sense, you still enjoyed a very lucky ticket.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 04-29-2024 at 06:23 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:13 PM   #2460
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Pretty Little Flower- he passed from a heart attack FWIW, not cancer.