LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 128
0 members and 128 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 06:36 PM   #4081
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So we have friends with a son living in Adams Morgan. They left Tuesday night to stay with relatives in Maryland. See, about 50 Proud Boys were staying at a hotel near them. The P.B.s had originally booked a hotel on Capitol Hill, but once that hotel realized who they were they got kicked out. Understand, hotel security was able to keep them out, but Capitol Police could not.
My sister lives on base in DC and they had a tree near the top of a nearby hill shot up early in the day. Someone outside the base perimeter literally just fired away at the tree on top the hill, embedding a bunch of bullets in it. This is the residential area for most of the DC based flag officers, and the perimeter is all fencing and razor wire. It's crazy. But they'll almost surely have been caught on camera.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #4082
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: May it please the court...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
A dog is no use against an assault rifle wielded by a tweaked-out hillbilly. Plus, we’re at maximum pet capacity right now. So looks like a deck-mounted 50 caliber machine gun is my only option.
I keep a Marine with me most of the time when I'm in the house. He's a yoga teacher, but he has some scary looking skull tattoos.

Plus, we have a battle axe someone gave us when we got married. It's a good 40 lbs and probably would split a skull easily. That requires close range though.

The dogs are useless for defense, but they're excellent alarms.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 01-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #4083
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
Maybe the capitol hill police will be disbanded and the national guard will be put in its place until the review is over.
My understanding is the T man needed to send in the National Guard, as DC has no governor. He umm, didn't see the need? But Va's Gov send in the Va NG.

I took con law as if it were pass/fail, but is there some mechanism for the joints Chiefs to tell the Pres "umm, no, that is crazy?"
Old 01-07-2021, 07:08 PM   #4084
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
My sister lives on base in DC and they had a tree near the top of a nearby hill shot up early in the day. Someone outside the base perimeter literally just fired away at the tree on top the hill, embedding a bunch of bullets in it. This is the residential area for most of the DC based flag officers, and the perimeter is all fencing and razor wire. It's crazy. But they'll almost surely have been caught on camera.
That marine base?
Old 01-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #4085
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Legal hivemind, please help.

Suppose A, an older gentlemen. A is deteriorating, so H is appointed as his conservator, with ample powers.

A then goes online, and takes out a loan to buy cruise tickets. He pays off the loan.

H then approaches the lender and says, hey, A wasn't competent and I was appointed conservator. You shouldn't have been taking his money. Pay me back.

What does the lender say:

1) Get bent.
1a) How should we have known he wasn't competent?
1c) If he's not competent, why did you leave his money in an account he can access?
1d) You're giving us the cruise tickets, then?

or

2) Oh, sorry, here's the money.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #4086
Pretty Little Flower

Re: May it please the court...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
What's your property like? If you have some space, establishing a few armed drones on the perimeter would be ideal. You'll get Toothless Tommy long before he's a real threat, and even if Jumpy Jeb manages to breach the perimeter with his AR 15 while you're taking Tommy out, you can use the drones to get him from behind while using your conventional weaponry to keep him at a distance. Cross-fire can be a beautiful thing.

If you have less space, have you considered arming a cupola on top of the house? It's always good to have the high ground, and it may be less visible to the kids.
Residential city street. Kids, dogs, and Amazon delivery folks everywhere. Can’t risk the collateral damage. I need to be able to take out Jumpy Jeb and Twitchy Tommy before they get too close because I have spindly biker arms and have no chance of surviving hand-to-hand combat. I may have to get a cupola built.

I am not sorry.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #4087
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
My understanding is the T man needed to send in the National Guard, as DC has no governor. He umm, didn't see the need? But Va's Gov send in the Va NG.

I took con law as if it were pass/fail, but is there some mechanism for the joints Chiefs to tell the Pres "umm, no, that is crazy?"
The Secretary of the Army is the commandant of the DC National Guard, and he needed permission from the acting Secretary of Defense.

People have pointed out that when the DC National Guard was deployed, it was done with the involvement of Pence but not Trump, which is sketchy, legally and in other ways.

But this story suggests that DoD offered help and the Capitol Police said, no thanks.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 01-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #4088
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post

I still don't fear Donald Trump. He's too dumb to fear.

You missed something
Old 01-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #4089
Icky Thump

Quote:
If I lived in Minnesota I'd be ice slipping like a mad man. Although maybe I'd be better at snow/ice running after a few winters there?
Saucony Peregrines have proven to be very grippy in ice on snow. I still don't trust them on ice on pavement.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:54 PM   #4090
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
Saucony Peregrines have proven to be very grippy in ice on snow. I still don't trust them on ice on pavement.
But I'm sponsored by Asics.

The problem with ice shoes is where I run is 80% clean road, and spikes are not good there.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #4091
Icky Thump

Quote:
So we have friends with a son living in Adams Morgan. They left Tuesday night to stay with relatives in Maryland. See, about 50 Proud Boys were staying at a hotel near them. The P.B.s had originally booked a hotel on Capitol Hill, but once that hotel realized who they were they got kicked out. Understand, hotel security was able to keep them out, but Capitol Police could not.
Inside job
Old 01-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #4092
Icky Thump

Quote:
But I'm sponsored by Asics.

The problem with ice shoes is where I run is 80% clean road, and spikes are not good there.
They are trail shoes not spikes and perfectly fine for running on pavement though not as good as a good road shoe.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #4093
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
They are trail shoes not spikes and perfectly fine for running on pavement though not as good as a good road shoe.
How are trail running shoes different from road running shoes?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #4094
Icky Thump

Quote:
How are trail running shoes different from road running shoes?
Look at the bottoms. Like winter tires and summer tires. Different tread.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #4095
Oliver_Wendell_Ramone

Quote:
It's like rope drop at Disneyland.