LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 137
0 members and 137 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #676
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
A lot of conservatives were pissed off that Souter didn't give them the kind of rulings they wanted, and the lesson they took was that they needed to exert pressure on the nomination process to make sure they got the kind of judge they wanted. When another Bush tried to nominate another Souter, W. and Harriet Miers, conservatives revolted and prevented that from happening, and got Alito instead, and we all can see how that turned out.
I think they also really got into grooming their candidates through the FedSoc. Most Supreme Court justices from the right have been getting talked up in a small circle of right wing DC insiders for years; the FedSoc can name their best candidates for the next decade or two. This just doesn't happen on the left. I think we have some idea of where our bench is, but no one is consciously grooming them for the big show.

A candidate carefully groomed over many years is much less likely to succomb to things like reasoning and so much less likely to evolve.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #677
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Mathematically, the Court isn't in that bad of condition. It just needs a fourth liberal judge and Roberts to play the swing vote.

As to quality/stridency of the ideologues, well, that's different. Alito is a crypto-fascist. Gorsuch seems fine, however. I know little about Kavanaugh, but he is technically qualified. I know nothing about Barrett, but her loony religious views render her unqualified IMO.
It's not really a numbers game anymore. Sure, numbers matter.

But the big problem is that we have some real wackos on the court, people who couldn't give a shit whether their thinking is consistent or provided steady guidance to all the other courts. I think Gorsuch may be the worst of them, but Thomas, Alito and Barrett all given him a run for his money.

I think the jury is still out on Kavanaugh. Sure, he's a creepy guy chock-full of grievances. Sure, his thinking is often reptilian and his training was that of a political hack. But his writing isn't bad and shows some signs of actually trying not to be a hypocrite (Alito is, I am sure, gravely disappointed).

Even if the wackos never make it to a full majority, a court with a bunch of wackos is very dangerous.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:24 PM   #678
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I think they also really got into grooming their candidates through the FedSoc. Most Supreme Court justices from the right have been getting talked up in a small circle of right wing DC insiders for years; the FedSoc can name their best candidates for the next decade or two. This just doesn't happen on the left. I think we have some idea of where our bench is, but no one is consciously grooming them for the big show.

A candidate carefully groomed over many years is much less likely to succomb to things like reasoning and so much less likely to evolve.
Souter is big part of the reason for that.

Agree that the left doesn't do this. Conservatives care about the Court more (which is why McConnell blocked Garland before an election), and they are trying to change the status quo.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:52 PM   #679
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:

My favorite Souter story though is about why he moved from his family's farmhouse to a new place, which is a pretty humble single story ranch nearby. He decided he needed a new place because the weight of his books was causing the floors to buckle and the books were more important than the house.
Some friends of mine are an architect and a book buyer. When they designed their dream home, the architect had to account for the weight of the larger than average book collection.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:48 AM   #680
Icky Thump

Quote:
I think the jury is still out on Kavanaugh. Sure, he's a creepy guy chock-full of grievances. Sure, his thinking is often reptilian and his training was that of a political hack. But his writing isn't bad and shows some signs of actually trying not to be a hypocrite (Alito is, I am sure, gravely disappointed).
He gave plaintiffs' lawyers the single best decision in the history of plaintiffs' lawyers so we have to like beer too.

Dems too busy trying to do the right thing while repubs trying to win. That's how you get slaughter sides.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #681
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
True, although Brown Jackson has been pretty obviously on he trajectory for years.

That said, if Thomas's mystery illness suddenly goes south, I do not know who is next up.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #682
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
True, although Brown Jackson has been pretty obviously on he trajectory for years.

That said, if Thomas's mystery illness suddenly goes south, I do not know who is next up.
Please let it be another non-Catholic.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #683
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessinSF View Post
Catholic though I be, I say "endorse" to this.

Catholic thinking is increasingly weird these days. I mean, surrealistically weird. Reading even the left wing Catholic journals has become challenging. I'm starting to find myself suspect based on some of the people I'm hanging out with.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #684
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
He gave plaintiffs' lawyers the single best decision in the history of plaintiffs' lawyers so we have to like beer too.

Dems too busy trying to do the right thing while repubs trying to win. That's how you get slaughter sides.
Since we're referring to important legal opinions today, please note that the Second Circuit held that disgruntled fantasy baseball players could not sue Major League Baseball, the Red Sox, and the Astros, alleging that they would have done better in their fantasy leagues if the Sox and the Astros hadn't cheated.

Attorneys involved include SulCrom, Boies Schiller, and Cravath.

Last edited by LessinSF; 03-25-2022 at 04:55 PM..
LessinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #685
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaced_texan View Post
sorry all for the brief downtime! My credit card number changed and i forgot to update the host. All is clear, and i also renewed the domain for another three years. Hopefully that'll keep us up and running for awhile.

Also, my son was born two weeks ago today, and i've sort of been distracted.

:d

his pictures are all over my facebook and twitter if you follow such things.

I'm in love.
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2022, 04:57 PM   #686
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Pastafarian.

“We are not saying that Evolution can’t exist, only that it is guided by His Noodly Appendage. And our Spaghedeity is extremely modest. For some reason, He went through a great deal of trouble to make us believe that Evolution is true--masking the prominent role of Pirates in our origins, making monkeys seem more important than they really are, generally keeping behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.”
Old 03-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #687
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Pastafarian.

“We are not saying that Evolution can’t exist, only that it is guided by His Noodly Appendage. And our Spaghedeity is extremely modest. For some reason, He went through a great deal of trouble to make us believe that Evolution is true--masking the prominent role of Pirates in our origins, making monkeys seem more important than they really are, generally keeping behind the scenes and out of the spotlight.”
Yeah, if you think that is weird, try reading Vermeule.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #688
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
That’s inadequate. It should be an openly atheist person. (How you gonna gird against inherent religious bias better than that?)

But no. That’ll never happen. Because as woke as this country may become, there’s one bigotry that’s always okay: Anti-Atheism.

Fuck micro-aggressions. Even as children, it’s been totally okay to call us immoral, amoral, bad people, bound for hell, people of poor ethics, suspicious, even evil.

Seriously. I still have to bite my lip because many of these people who believe in Men in the Sky will not deal with me if I admit I don’t believe in god.

It’s fucking annoying.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:53 PM   #689
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
That’s inadequate. It should be an openly atheist person. (How you gonna gird against inherent religious bias better than that?)

But no. That’ll never happen. Because as woke as this country may become, there’s one bigotry that’s always okay: Anti-Atheism.

Fuck micro-aggressions. Even as children, it’s been totally okay to call us immoral, amoral, bad people, bound for hell, people of poor ethics, suspicious, even evil.

Seriously. I still have to bite my lip because many of these people who believe in Men in the Sky will not deal with me if I admit I don’t believe in god.

It’s fucking annoying.
I'd like to nominate my old law school study partner, the Congressman from Northern California, Jared Huffman. He formed the Athiest Caucus in the House, which I think currently has 3 members.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:18 PM   #690
Icky Thump

I found this

and it is better than any drugs