LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 246
0 members and 246 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 07-06-2022, 11:39 PM   #1456
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Facebook -- not clear to me that they are a monopoly because I'm not sure how to define the relevant market, but it is an enormously harmful company that I have no interest in defending

Apple -- not sure whether they are a monopolist or a duopolist (with Android), but not sure it should matter

Amazon -- not sure they are a monopolist, and tend to think that the things they do are generally consistent with consumer welfare

Netflix -- not a monopolist by any stretch of the imagination, shouldn't be grouped with the others here IMO

Google -- clearly has been a monopolist for a long time, with harms for everyone else

As to which of these am I an apologist for a monopoly?
Amazon. I think you defended FB, but I can’t recall why. Might’ve been unrelated to monopoly concerns.
Old 07-06-2022, 11:49 PM   #1457
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
“Cheap shit is all that matters. Competition is a concern for the horse and buggy crowd.”

Somewhere, Bork smiles on you.

Perhaps from… Hell?
I truly do not understand your point. Do you think Amazon has a monopoly? In what market?
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:52 PM   #1458
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Amazon. I think you defended FB, but I can’t recall why. Might’ve been unrelated to monopoly concerns.
I have a hard time imaging a world in which I would want to defend FB on any grounds.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-07-2022, 12:43 AM   #1459
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I truly do not understand your point. Do you think Amazon has a monopoly? In what market?
It is the most anticompetitive company out there. Bork made same argument as you. Consumer benefit is only concern, not anticompetitive actions.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #1460
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Facebook -- not clear to me that they are a monopoly because I'm not sure how to define the relevant market, but it is an enormously harmful company that I have no interest in defending

Apple -- not sure whether they are a monopolist or a duopolist (with Android), but not sure it should matter

Amazon -- not sure they are a monopolist, and tend to think that the things they do are generally consistent with consumer welfare

Netflix -- not a monopolist by any stretch of the imagination, shouldn't be grouped with the others here IMO

Google -- clearly has been a monopolist for a long time, with harms for everyone else

As to which of these am I an apologist for a monopoly?
Everybody talks about tech monopolies, no one talks about Bayer/Monsanto or Sinclair.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #1461
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
It is the most anticompetitive company out there. Bork made same argument as you. Consumer benefit is only concern, not anticompetitive actions.
Can you give some examples of their anticompetitive actions?

I get clients complaining about them all the time, but they are invariably about someone undercutting prices on marketplace, which is typically not Amazon itself and quite clearly competition. People complain about them vertically integrating - usually by pretending Amazon knows something about its suppliers that's different from any large distributor - but that too is pretty clearly competition.

Self-preferencing is the tricky thing, but clearly has consumer benefits too, which is why there hasn't been real enforcement against it yet.

Pretty funny that you think it's a gotcha for Ty to be espousing existing antitrust standards. Yeah, go back to Bork and the Chicago School but they are still the law.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #1462
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
Everybody talks about tech monopolies, no one talks about Bayer/Monsanto or Sinclair.
What does Bayer monopolize?
Old 07-07-2022, 02:31 PM   #1463
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
(1) What do you think is anticompetitive about Amazon?

(2) You use the words "anticompetitive" and "monopoly" as if they mean the same things, but they do not. You accused me of being an apologist for monopolies, which in light of what I've done for the last twenty years is pretty funny, so I have asked you why you think Amazon is a monopolist. A noncontroversial definition of monopoly is >50% share of a relevant market. In its core business, Amazon competes with like, everyone. How can you define a relevant market that gives them a monopoly share?

(3) Setting Bork aside, I am not wedded to the consumer welfare standard, and probably more open to considering other kinds of antitrust harm than most people. But, if you're going to argue that actions can be anticompetitive even if there's no harm to consumers, you have to explain what you're thinking.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #1464
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Bayer bought Monsanto.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #1465
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Here's one view, not an endorsement:

https://www.greenamerica.org/blog/wh...o-bayer-merger
Old 07-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #1466
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Bayer was a sizable player in Agri-business and Agri-tech and bought Monsanto, which was already the biggest player in a lot of Agri-business and -tech. It has a huge impact on agriculture.

Other aspects of Ag have also been rapidly consolidating - tractors, feed, etc.

I suspect the last decade has seen more consolidation in ag-related businesses centered in rural areas than in tech. It's true on the buy-side as well, where meat and vegetable packing and distribution businesses have been rapidly consolidating, and on the production side, where there are now a lot of players consolidating agricultural land into ever bigger entities.

Red, rural America is going to kill off a big chunk of its economy shipping all the ag profits out to blue state urban finance centers.

That said, one of my clients made a killing on Brazilian ag land when Trump put in his tariffs. Since the US soy business was dead in the water for 6 months, the land flipped quickly at a multiple. He had a couple parcels each slightly bigger than Rhode Island.

Last edited by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy; 07-07-2022 at 05:34 PM..
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:23 PM   #1467
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Bayer was a sizable player in Agri-business and Agri-tech and bought Monsanto, which was already the biggest player in a lot of Agri-business and -tech. It has a huge impact on agriculture.

Other aspects of Ag have also been rapidly consolidating - tractors, feed, etc.

I suspect the last decade has seen more consolidation in ag-related businesses centered in rural areas than in tech. It's true on the buy-side as well, where meat and vegetable packing and distribution businesses have been rapidly consolidating, and on the production side, where there are now a lot of players consolidating agricultural land into ever bigger entities.

Red, rural America is going to kill off a big chunk of its economy shipping all the ag profits out to blue state urban finance centers.

That said, one of my clients made a killing on Brazilian ag land when Trump put in his tariffs. Since the US soy business was dead in the water for 6 months, the land flipped quickly at a multiple. He had a couple parcels each slightly bigger than Rhode Island.
Right after I posted I realized you meant the Monsanto stuff. And yeah, it is scary.

David Chang did a series last year about the Future of Food. Scary stuff. But entertaining and with some hopeful bits.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sbyoZ2KetYo
Old 07-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #1468
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Right after I posted I realized you meant the Monsanto stuff. And yeah, it is scary.

David Chang did a series last year about the Future of Food. Scary stuff. But entertaining and with some hopeful bits.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sbyoZ2KetYo

I've got a whole bunch of heirloom tomatoes in this year and one of the things you discover is that there used to be a lot more variety and more depth of flavor. Sure, yields are up, and the old very thin profits are being replaced by much bigger profits, but, damn, those old-timey tomatoes taste good.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:04 PM   #1469
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I've got a whole bunch of heirloom tomatoes in this year and one of the things you discover is that there used to be a lot more variety and more depth of flavor. Sure, yields are up, and the old very thin profits are being replaced by much bigger profits, but, damn, those old-timey tomatoes taste good.
I blame Ty and his army of Amazon apologists.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:50 PM   #1470
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I blame Ty and his army of Amazon apologists.
Last summer, Whole Foods had the best tomatos near us.

eta: Still waiting for someone to explain Amazon's putative monopoly to me. FWIW, they clearly did not have a monopoly on the retail sale of tomatos in Santa Clara County last summer, but they were outcompeting their rivals on quality.

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 07-12-2022 at 11:02 PM..