LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 200
1 members and 199 guests
Replaced_Texan
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 01:36 AM   #4891
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Yeah, still need a cite?
What planet have you been on?

“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #4892
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
I'll bet you're even too fat to ride a bike.

I am not sorry.

Last edited by Pretty Little Flower; 06-11-2021 at 11:48 AM..
Old 06-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #4893
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Euro 2020

Others might find this interesting -- I did.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 06-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #4894
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Oh, man, what am I supposed to do here, say I'm rubber and you're glue or something?

I'm just floored by this witty comeback of yours.
Actually? Yes. That's at the same level as your prior Trump-like comment, to which I replied in kind.

What does one do with "You're fat"? I mean, really? Shall we describe ourselves here?

And while I'm not an ambulance chaser, and I've zero interest in engaging in some competition with anyone's fragile ego, you might not want to be so snooty about that. I've a few friends who do that work, and every now and again, I'll try to refer a complex case to one in particular, and he'll remind me:

I don't want to think. Send me car accidents, construction accidents. I make money on that shit. I lose money thinking.

He's got more money than you or I will ever have. And while I'm sweating business sale agreements, he's golfing.

You attempt snooty too often. Understand, it works like Fight Club.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #4895
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
So you're saying, it's like when a two-time loser and failed blogger cheats at golf, and people say, well, he is a two-loser and he failed at blogger, and he cheats, but his score isn't that bad.
Close. It'd be like a foursome of best ball where one golfer generally sucks, or gets the team penalized here and there for cheating, but occasionally hits a good shot. People would say that team was saddled with a shitty player and therefore, or despite such player, depending on how you want to look at it, the team shot a moderately decent score.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #4896
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
You know who doesn't think that way? Two-time loser, geriatric skin-care model and failed blogger Donald Trump. He really cares what people think about him, and it really bothers him that he lost two straight national popularity contests in four years. Being a loser bothers him so much that he has constructed an elaborate fantasy world in which he pretends that he actually won, just like he cheats at golf and pretends he won. But he knows he's a loser.
I agree with you about Trump being a thin-skinned mental patient who lives in a delusion that he won the popular vote.

I don't agree with any suggestion that the popular vote is an important metric. Just as one can assemble the rubes in the hills to vote GOP, one can assemble the credulous of the cities to vote Democratic.

It's just corralling different bands of idiots. And the cities have more idiots who'll vote lockstep D than the countrysides have rubes who'll vote lockstep R.

Sure, there are also bright people who actually examine policies and vote for both parties based on sane considerations. But have you talked to a rank and file Joe or Jane Sixpack voter lately?

Holy shit. They are so packed with disinformation or just plain bad information, of all varieties, from the right and the left, that you're pained not to shake your head and walk away in disgust.

Most voters who dependably vote one way are low information sorts. That the Ds have more of these people in their camp isn't exactly something for which they should be swelling up with pride.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #4897
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I don't agree with any suggestion that the popular vote is an important metric. Just as one can assemble the rubes in the hills to vote GOP, one can assemble the credulous of the cities to vote Democratic.
Lots more people in the cities than the hills. If it's really that easy to assemble the rubes in the hills, why hasn't anyone been doing it? Democrats have won the popular vote in every single presidential election but one since 1988, which is a long time ago.

That's why Trump is a losing loser -- because most people don't like him, or Republicans. And because he's a failed blogger and a golf cheat.

eta: Oh, and because he got a lot of people killed with the way he responded to the pandemic.

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 06-11-2021 at 05:15 PM..
Old 06-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #4898
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Swede emotion

Quote:
Oh, wait, one more, my other theory is my practice is fucked for the foreseeable future.
Wait, I thought you were dealing with innovation in things like the automobile industry. I would have thought all the electric and hybrid cares and shit would have been a goldmine for you.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #4899
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Wait, I thought you were dealing with innovation in things like the automobile industry. I would have thought all the electric and hybrid cares and shit would have been a goldmine for you.
My firm does a lot of Auto work, but not me. My practice now is almost all aero.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #4900
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
My firm does a lot of Auto work, but not me. My practice now is almost all aero.
Air travel is back.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #4901
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Air travel is back.
Better, but not back. But I am hopeful.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:50 PM   #4902
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Better, but not back. But I am hopeful.
Leisure bookings are back, anyway. Business is going to take longer.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #4903
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Actually? Yes. That's at the same level as your prior Trump-like comment, to which I replied in kind.

What does one do with "You're fat"? I mean, really? Shall we describe ourselves here?

And while I'm not an ambulance chaser, and I've zero interest in engaging in some competition with anyone's fragile ego, you might not want to be so snooty about that. I've a few friends who do that work, and every now and again, I'll try to refer a complex case to one in particular, and he'll remind me:

I don't want to think. Send me car accidents, construction accidents. I make money on that shit. I lose money thinking.

He's got more money than you or I will ever have. And while I'm sweating business sale agreements, he's golfing.

You attempt snooty too often. Understand, it works like Fight Club.

I am just so glad to have finally identified a minority group for whom you have sympathy.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #4904
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
I am just so glad to have finally identified a minority group for whom you have sympathy.
Fat people are not a minority in the United States. If you doubt that, go outside and walk around a bit and observe.

I still can’t get my head around the fact that you called me fat as an insult. First, it’s just bizarre. Beyond that, we’ve never met, but it’s pretty clear that I am probably one of the most vain people on this board. I’m routinely pilloried for being shallow, and you assume me fat?

Jumping off, I recently acquired a bottle of 27 year old Laphroaig. Unparalleled in terms of smoothness. However, it’s the edges, the bite, that makes me love the brand. So I think I’ll stick with quarter cask.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #4905
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Lots more people in the cities than the hills. If it's really that easy to assemble the rubes in the hills, why hasn't anyone been doing it? Democrats have won the popular vote in every single presidential election but one since 1988, which is a long time ago.

That's why Trump is a losing loser -- because most people don't like him, or Republicans. And because he's a failed blogger and a golf cheat.

eta: Oh, and because he got a lot of people killed with the way he responded to the pandemic.
Um, math.

If I have X number of voters in the countryside to turn out, and I turn them out, but my opponent has 3X number of voters in the city to turn out, and he turns them out, he will always win.

Trump is a loser. In a number of things, including the popular vote. But had he won the electoral vote, despite losing the popular vote, he would be the winner. Like he was in 2016. We don’t say that Hillary Clinton won that election, or that John Kerry won the 2004 election, because they didn’t.