LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 393
0 members and 393 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #856
Not Bob

You sell yourself as a man to save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I know there is at least a chance that you directed this post to me expecting some angry and effete sneering diatribe during which I pointedly remind you that no band ever associated with Lilith Fair can ever be described as "Riot Grrls." But I always thought that album was solid. I think Pitchfork's 10 is ridiculous, but it was a remarkable debut.
I am nothing if not earnest, Flower. I simply wanted to cheer you up after seeing Sebby’s* gin post, and who** doesn’t like Liz Phair? (She’s a good follow on Twitter, btw - @PhizLair)

*I am always tempted to call him “Rauooooooool” when he goes on a gonzo rant. I miss Paigow.

**Well, I did have some trepidation about this - she did play some Lilith Fair dates. But I did think that you liked her.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #857
Not Bob

Am I the only one who hears the screams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Night and gin and music—the right setting for peeling off the thin clinging layers of bullshit and finding one's way down closer to the essential self.
Start swingin’ free and easy in the Hickeys, my man, and you will have achieved classic-era Sebby.

Sniff. We’re all so proud.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #858
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Re: Am I the only one who hears the screams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Start swingin’ free and easy in the Hickeys, my man, and you will have achieved classic-era Sebby.

Suit Supply and Saks (Made in Italy - but only from the outlet) - I’m still cheap!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #859
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Suit Supply and Saks (Made in Italy - but only from the outlet) - I’m still cheap!
A friend who buys some pretty nice threads recommended Suit Supply to me. Said the stuff was made as well as the high end brands. I bought a couple jackets, and he was right. I had to have one altered over the winter and took it to my tailor. He even said the jacket was exceptionally well made.

It's also one of the few places you can find jackets with peaked lapels and surgeon's cuffs. (Ike Behar does the lapels, but not the surgeon's cuffs.) The only other brand that does that combination as a rule is Tom Ford... and I don't have $3k to throw down for a sport coat.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #860
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:

I haven't worn Freeman in about 7 years. Man, we're old motherfuckers.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #861
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Laid back with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

Quote:
Night and gin and music—the right setting for peeling off the thin clinging layers of bullshit and finding one's way down closer to the essential self.
The anesthetic effects of Martini 1 convert to Lack of Inhibition at Martini 2. I often switch to wine, beer, or champagne at this point, as Martini 3 inclines me to advise people what I truly think of them. It also ends the night. Halfway through 3, one realizes: I have now reached the plateau of alcohol's effects. There is no point in going any further.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #862
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: You sell yourself as a man to save.

Quote:
[SIZE="1"]*I am always tempted to call him “Rauooooooool” when he goes on a gonzo rant.
This reminds me... No one poured a 40 for Tom Wolfe.

Like him or hate him, if you're reading modern nonfiction, his influence is somewhere in the text. (And fuck Mailer's and Updike's criticisms of his novels as prole-lit. Updike's riffs on the suburbs were supreme bores, and Mailer's best work was being hit on the head with a hammer by Rip Torn. Unfortunately, it was a toy.)

And Wolfe stayed relevant to the end. This was a pretty solid long-form essay: https://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Speec.../dp/B01922I12U

Tying concepts, I'm unable to find Wolfe's obit for HST, which was a thing of brilliance. But this article regarding their correspondence provides a glimpse into a careers-long back and forth between a couple of giants. Sadly, I think Wolfe was the last of this breed. Oh well... we still have about 30,000 pages of his work.

40 poured.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #863
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post

Like him or hate him, if you're reading modern nonfiction, his influence is somewhere in the text. (And fuck Mailer's and Updike's criticisms of his novels as prole-lit. Updike's riffs on the suburbs were supreme bores, and Mailer's best work was being hit on the head with a hammer by Rip Torn. Unfortunately, it was a toy.)

And Wolfe stayed relevant to the end. This was a pretty solid long-form essay: https://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Speec.../dp/B01922I12U

Tying concepts, I'm unable to find Wolfe's obit for HST, which was a thing of brilliance. But this article regarding their correspondence provides a glimpse into a careers-long back and forth between a couple of giants. Sadly, I think Wolfe was the last of this breed. Oh well... we still have about 30,000 pages of his work.

40 poured.
I was just shocked he was still alive.

He was mourned in my literary group. But not as much as Oscar Gamble was earlier in the year. We're still upset over that loss.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #864
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

40 poured.
I'm pretty sure it was Electric Kool-Aid that got me into Hunter. Good stuff for an impressionable young lad.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #865
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was Electric Kool-Aid that got me into Hunter. Good stuff for an impressionable young lad.
Who are you kidding? Young, maybe, but you were never impressionable.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 05-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #866

Quote:
A friend who buys some pretty nice threads recommended Suit Supply to me. Said the stuff was made as well as the high end brands. I bought a couple jackets, and he was right. I had to have one altered over the winter and took it to my tailor. He even said the jacket was exceptionally well made.
They're jackets fit me perfectly. I remember when the managing partner /founder/non-benevolent dictator of my old firm asked me "is that an Oxxford?" Oh how I laughed.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:08 PM   #867

Quote:

40 poured.
A Man in Full was terrible. Back to Blood was worse.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #868
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
They're jackets fit me perfectly. I remember when the managing partner /founder/non-benevolent dictator of my old firm asked me "is that an Oxxford?" Oh how I laughed.
Same here. I walked in, pulled a Washington cut off the rack, put it on, paid for it, and walked out in it. And it fits like it was tailored.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #869
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
A Man in Full was terrible. Back to Blood was worse.
Charlotte Simmons was surprisingly good, and prescient.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #870
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Only book in history written by Tom Wolfe based in significant part on Hunter S. Thompson's notes.