LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 246
0 members and 246 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #1651
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Re: We are all Slave now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
This is almost as maddening as, "If you believe in nothing, you'll believe in anything." It's not pithy if it's flatly wrong.
If you just say that "we" are responsible for something, without more, you are not saying that some people are more responsible than others, and you are absolving those people. To point a finger is to direct attention. If you "point a finger" at everyone, you aren't directing attention -- you're diffusing it, uselessly. There are people who are more and less responsible for what has happened in our politics, and if you want to avoid figuring out who they are, say the sort of thing you just said.

Quote:
Gingrich owns considerable blame. That's a very astute observation.

But I'm citing causes beyond politics. We've adopted a zero sum game mentality about so many things, society looks like a giant chessboard of nihilists. Winning is everything, which explains a lot about why so many people still admire this President.
As Tonto said to the Lone Ranger when all those other Indians rode over the hill, Who do you mean "we," white man?

Quote:
Get paid, get rich. Fuck what's created, what you do, and what you leave. Get yours, now, and get so much of it you almost choke on it. Sound familiar?
Nope.

Quote:
From Wall Street to 50 Cent to Mitch McConnell, it's a culture celebrating extraction -- how much can ya get? The blame for that I lay at the feet of the finance industry. When all anyone sees is numbers, they cease to be interesting, to have a soul, and everything becomes a game. Build a pile, then die. Pretty bleak.
Yes, that sounds bleak.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #1652
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
So you think Roe was wrongly decided?
If I had been on that Supreme Court, I'm not sure I would have joined Blackmun's decision.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 07-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #1653
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEC_Chick View Post
Barrett would have exposed again the left’s anti-religious bigotry right before the midterms.
If someone's religion focuses on hating gays and justifies caging babies, all I can do is pray the Good Lord has mercy on their soul.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #1654
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

I am ashamed that this woman is held up as a representative of Christianity.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #1655
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

It's odd to me to talk about the left's "anti-religious bigotry" when anti-Moslem sentiment is so common on the right. Or to put it differently, Luke 6:42.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #1656
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post

Nope.

You do realize you lead a webpage started to make rich people richer, right? Instead of citing Luke’s Chapter 4 maybe you should read 18?
Old 07-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #1657
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
You do realize you lead a webpage started to make rich people richer, right? Instead of citing Luke’s Chapter 4 maybe you should read 18?
Did you think I collect taxes? I do legal work for an entity that serves, so far, to transfer money from rich investors to the shareholders of large financial institutions. When I put it that way to you, I hope you feel like a blind man receiving the gift of sight.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #1658
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
If you just say that "we" are responsible for something, without more, you are not saying that some people are more responsible than others, and you are absolving those people. To point a finger is to direct attention. If you "point a finger" at everyone, you aren't directing attention -- you're diffusing it, uselessly. There are people who are more and less responsible for what has happened in our politics, and if you want to avoid figuring out who they are, say the sort of thing you just said.

As Tonto said to the Lone Ranger when all those other Indians rode over the hill, Who do you mean "we," white man?

Nope.

Yes, that sounds bleak.
Nobody wants to be the Velvet Underground anymore, even in tech. They want to Get Paid.

Nothing wrong with it, of course. That desire powers the world. But a world of pure rational materialists is creepy, and it’s increasingly where we’re headed.

Not too long ago, finance was contained. There were partnerships, where people held risk, and so acted prudently. And our media, our art, was not infected with low cost shit designed to make maximum money for the shareholders of media conglomerates.

Would Robert Evans’ movies get made today? Maybe as indies, at shit budgets. Coppola did Apocalypse Now a mere 38 years ago. Today, the only movie 1/4 that size likely to be made has to have a dozen Marvel characters in it.

We’re crass. Plasticky, crappy, and dull. I can’t blame that on Newt. I blame it on materialism and lack of imagination.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #1659
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Nobody’s worse than our sector. Turn paper, eat well. Hate the dull shit it is, but get addicted to the lifestyle. Get hobbies outside of it, take trips, do anything to forget it.

If the adage “Love what you do and you’ll never work a day in your life” holds, the modern professional, and particularly lawyers, are the most clueless of court jesters.

And most of us think we’re winning. We’d be closer to actually winning driving parasailing boats in Maui.

I say this with full awareness it’s into a mirror.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #1660
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Nobody wants to be the Velvet Underground anymore, even in tech. They want to Get Paid.

Nothing wrong with it, of course. That desire powers the world. But a world of pure rational materialists is creepy, and it’s increasingly where we’re headed.

Not too long ago, finance was contained. There were partnerships, where people held risk, and so acted prudently. And our media, our art, was not infected with low cost shit designed to make maximum money for the shareholders of media conglomerates.

Would Robert Evans’ movies get made today? Maybe as indies, at shit budgets. Coppola did Apocalypse Now a mere 38 years ago. Today, the only movie 1/4 that size likely to be made has to have a dozen Marvel characters in it.

We’re crass. Plasticky, crappy, and dull. I can’t blame that on Newt. I blame it on materialism and lack of imagination.
I'm not sure what you're looking at.

Apropos of which, caption please:

Old 07-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #1661
sebastian_dangerfield

She’s not representative of anything more than Trump’s penchant for hiring blondes with big breasts.

“So, you know Mary Magdalene is my favorite biblical character. Want to see the Oval Office? It’s not as gorgeous as Trump Tower, but’s it’s very, very nice...”
Old 07-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #1662
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Did you think I collect taxes? I do legal work for an entity that serves, so far, to transfer money from rich investors to the shareholders of large financial institutions. When I put it that way to you, I hope you feel like a blind man receiving the gift of sight.
If my answers bother you perhaps you should ask better questions? All I can say is that Jesus is not giving you points for your actions here, to the contrary. And the anti Trump rhetoric is actually making Jesus cry.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #1663
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

OK, try Ezekiel 25:17.

Quote:
If my answers bother you perhaps you should ask better questions? All I can say is that Jesus is not giving you points for your actions here, to the contrary. And the anti Trump rhetoric is actually making Jesus cry.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #1664
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

This here is the essence of conservatism now (and why SEC Chick is wrong that another appointee would have better energized conservatives).
Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 AM   #1665
SEC_Chick
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
It's odd to me to talk about the left's "anti-religious bigotry" when anti-Moslem sentiment is so common on the right. Or to put it differently, Luke 6:42.
Your perpetual use of lazy whataboutism is only your second least effective form of engagement. I would estimate it is a feature of more than half of any of your replies to me.

It's an especially meta touch to include that specific reference while doing so, but I am pretty sure that irony escapes you.
Closed Thread