LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 208
0 members and 208 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM   #1786
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: Doesn’t Matter Who Wins the K Race; We’re All the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
And she didn't need leeway. She didn't do anything meaningfully wrong.

Deleting all of the personal/irrelevant emails is a really strange way to conduct a cover-up.
You cannot know this. Your "bias" is showing. (In quotes because TM and Sebby's dispute comes down to two different interpretations of that word.)

LessinHamburg
Old 05-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #1787
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
Res ipsa, Don Quixote. I stand by Comey’s words as written. Your spin? Unavailing.
The right debate now is whether sebby is a total fucking moron, arguing in bad faith, or both. Because Ty just gave you the words and they don't say what you are saying they say.

Can we set up a poll?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #1788
Pretty Little Flower

Re: A Short Note in Defense of Clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurgreedMarshall View Post
I think that's fair, although the descriptors that precede or directly follow the word, "clown," work to distinguish regular clowns from the type of clown Sebby is. It's like if I said, "Sebby is a brain-dead cock juggler." You wouldn't assume I was disparaging the fine people who make a living juggling.

TM
I understand your argument, but I used to tangentially know some juggling types back in the day, and they were awful human beings. Constantly trying to interject their juggling into EVERY social situation, even when it was inappropriate to do so, which it was in EVERY social situation.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #1789
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
And I answered it. Based on my experience (and probably also basal brain activity of almost any conscious human) nobody erases a server like that, in a manner Comey described as "extremely careless," for entirely benign reasons.
Yeah, she definitely had no experience with re-litigating every little thing that ever happened as though it was a scandal and when you stop and really think about it should have looked forward to the fight over whether that one email about grabbing coffee with an underling that wasn't produced was the smoking gun that proved she sold uranium to Saudi Arabia as a quid pro quo for HIV vaccines they funded via the Clinton Global Initiative.

Alternately, she should have hung onto unscrubbed storage media that previously contained secret government materials. That would have been much more prudent.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #1790
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
So, moving on... I find the shitshow going on at the state level in re abortion to be the most amazing of strategy gaffes. The GOP has a weak incumbent, but one who already has the states at issue in the bag. And yet the GOP is allowing state party operatives to green light an anti-woman legal crusade (destined to fail) which will only galvanize more moderate women against Trump?
Because it's not going to fail and they're going to get at least some of the control over women's bodies that they've craved.

The best case scenario for reproductive rights out of the supreme court is that Roe is nominally upheld but the states are given broad leeway to regulate it more or less out of existence (i.e., available only to rich white women). And Roe being outright overturned is significantly more likely than maintaining the status quo.

I hope you're right that it has big political consequences, though.

Last edited by Adder; 05-16-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #1791
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
A low rent r/e developer from Queens, with shit for brains, gets you in a lather. Who's the sucker at that table?
The distilled idiocy of these sentences really sums up nicely why you are universally regarded as a brain-dead cock juggler.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #1792
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I understand your argument, but I used to tangentially know some juggling types back in the day, and they were awful human beings. Constantly trying to interject their juggling into EVERY social situation, even when it was inappropriate to do so, which it was in EVERY social situation.
I ran an entire marathon next to or near the joggler (you can figure it out). I just imagined all of the cheering for him was for me.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #1793
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I ran an entire marathon next to or near the joggler (you can figure it out). I just imagined all of the cheering for him was for me.
I once finished a fat bike race to wild cheering and rapturous applause, which I assumed was for me, until I turned around and saw that the guy on the left in the picture below was right behind me:

I am not sorry.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #1794
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Because it's not going to fail and they're going to get at least some of the control over women's bodies that they've craved.

The best case scenario for reproductive rights out of the supreme court is that Roe is nominally upheld but the states are given broad leeway to regulate it more or less out of existence (i.e., available only to rich white women). And Roe being outright overturned is significantly more likely than maintaining the status quo.

I hope you're right that it has big political consequences, though.
You don't flip Roe. The Tropic Thunder reference applies: "It's full retard. Never go full retard."

The GOP Establishment has always followed the rule that you placate the social conservative crazies on this issue, but always ensure Roe stands, as it's overturning would doom the party.

The Establishment of the party is clearly fucking gone. This shows total lack of discipline at the state level, which is where the GOP has usually been most effective.

The lunatic brigade Trump brought out from under the rocks is committing suicide with this move and they're too fucking stupid to see it. And that moron is running along with it, totally ignoring the math.

I can only conclude they think there's this huge mass of conservatives who will come out to vote if they just keep pushing in this direction. They're wrong. Trump had a shot if the economy stayed decent. This is the mother of all unforced errors. It's insane. Like something Jonah might do in Veep.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #1795
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
The distilled idiocy of these sentences really sums up nicely why you are universally regarded as a brain-dead cock juggler.
You're like a pilates instructor, or the local florist, lecturing on politics. "Oh, yeah. Totally. I saw that same thing in Rolling Stone."
Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #1796
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
You're like a pilates instructor, or the local florist, lecturing on politics. "Oh, yeah. Totally. I saw that same thing in Rolling Stone."
Right, because how would a Pilates instructor or a florist, both of whom are most likely chicks, have anything useful to say about politics when they are probably in some Chardonnay-induced menstrual hysteria most of the time? But, to be clear, I am not lecturing on politics. I am lecturing on why you are universally regarded as a brain-dead cock juggler. But I don't expect you to comprehend what I am saying because one of the central traits of brain-dead cock jugglers is an almost complete lack of self-awareness.

I am not sorry.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #1797
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Right, because how would a Pilates instructor or a florist, both of whom are most likely chicks, have anything useful to say about politics when they are probably in some Chardonnay-induced menstrual hysteria most of the time? But, to be clear, I am not lecturing on politics. I am lecturing on why you are universally regarded as a brain-dead cock juggler. But I don't expect you to comprehend what I am saying because one of the central traits of brain-dead cock jugglers is an almost complete lack of self-awareness.
I pegged you more a Pinot Grigo man. Ok, so, this latest variation of your tired shtick is that I lack self-awareness. (Did you forget empathy?) My reply would be, not unpredictably: So what?

Who cares if anyone is self aware? Seriously, I hear that term thrown around a lot, but it means nothing. "Bob's not very self aware." "Mary must have no self awareness."

Who gives a fuck whether anyone is self-aware or not? How is this even an insult? If a person says something, why would I even care if he or she is self aware? I'd listen to what the person said, process it, and if it required reply, reply. If not, say nothing.

You talk about self awareness like it's some supreme virtue. What's of interest is only whether the thing said is accurate and well considered. It's always fair to say "That's fucking bullshit" or "You didn't think that out very well." You can attack the thing said any way you like on its merits. But to say the speaker lacks self awareness means, I think in your head, that the speaker should know better than to say the thing he said regardless of whether the thing said is accurate or not. It's a bullshit metric allowing you to criticize someone for saying something probably true but impolitic.

This sort of squishy criticism makes a slop of conversations by focusing on the alleged tone deafness of an analysis, or whether the speaker "cares" enough, rather than whether the analysis is accurate. Somebody did it couple days ago, saying that to assert Trump succeeded in his amoral approach to the Mueller probe made me somehow amoral. That's silly. The game afoot there was political. Politics is often amoral. To say that Trump out-gamed the Democrats there is simply a factual observation. By hiring Barr, he did so. It was an unusually smart and well considered strategy move on his part. That's just reality. If saying so demonstrates lack of self awareness, what would demonstrate self awareness? To instead say something that wasn't factual but showed "caring" or empathy with people offended by Trump?

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-16-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Old 05-16-2019, 01:53 PM   #1798
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Yeah, she definitely had no experience with re-litigating every little thing that ever happened ...
She also had no experience with concealing subpoenaed records. Oh, wait, they are in her residence. Oops.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #1799
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
I can only conclude they think there's this huge mass of conservatives who will come out to vote if they just keep pushing in this direction.
If they are at all sentient, they know they need huge turnout of their crazies to have any shot in 2020. They actually got it in 2018 (and still had one of the worst ever midterm losses). Maybe they can do it again.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:48 PM   #1800
ThurgreedMarshall
[intentionally omitted]

Quote:
But, to be clear, I am not lecturing on politics. I am lecturing on why you are universally regarded as a brain-dead cock juggler. But I don't expect you to comprehend what I am saying because one of the central traits of brain-dead cock jugglers is an almost complete lack of self-awareness.
This is my finest work.

TM
Closed Thread