LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 235
0 members and 235 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #931
Icky Thump

Re: Consider the source but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
no sense of smell. for the first time in a while, I'm enjoying how smelly my shits are.
That's the one that seems to run through. Loss of senses of smell and taste.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #932
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
no sense of smell. for the first time in a while, I'm enjoying how smelly my shits are.
It's made anal a lot easier. But there's still that wiping off the corn afterward that ruins it for me.

Why do Long John Silver's waitresses eat so much corn?

(I probably should get off Tinder. But there's no kissing, and it's a remote parking lot, so it's probably okay.)
Old 03-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #933
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I thought the virus killed by one of two means, which were both symptom related:

1. Causing severe viral or bacterial pneumonia;
2. Stressing the heart by impeding breathing and ability to get oxygen into blood

Hence my comment that the virus isn't the cause so much as the havoc the virus invites by making the lungs open to infection and stressing the heart of those with compromised cardiac profiles.

But I'm no doc. Just reading shit like everyone else. So if the virus actually gets into the heart and does damage, I'll believe your wife on that.
This explanation looks pretty solid. The virus itself does a lot of damage to your respiratory system. A weakened respiratory system is more susceptible to other problems, like bacterial infection causing pneumonia, but that is icing on the cake.

My recollection is that there were reports from China or Italy of deaths in ICUs where patients who had been on respirators for several days and who seemed to be doing a little better then had their hearts attacked by the virus and died quite quickly. TBH, not sure how reliable or common those reports are.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #934
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
No, you are just plain wrong.

They. Are. Releasing. People. Who. Test. Positive.

Quarantine at home.
No shit. The hospitals are under siege [eta: Here is mine]. If someone is not sick enough to need a hospital, they are keeping the hospital beds for other people who are. So you send people home, to quarantine. But the idea is not to "quarantine" with uninfected, highly suspectible people, like someone who is 100 years old. Because that is not a quarantine, and it will kill people. If that's what happened, many it's because a lot of people don't have a second house to go quarantine in, but it's not because this cocktail prevents someone who has the virus from infecting other people.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 03-26-2020 at 06:32 PM..
Old 03-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #935
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
No, you are just plain wrong.

They. Are. Releasing. People. Who. Test. Positive.

Quarantine at home.
Our friends' daughter is almost certain she had it. The hospital said "you're 30, stay home unless it gets bad." Those people do not count into the stats.

My son is back and fine. Current job is juicer in a high end supermarket. Not table side, volume. So he brings us juice each day, and we distance and it is really hard not to hug our son, and he is still fragile from being away, and it is hard.

And clients are starting to send freeze work letters.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #936
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
No shit. The hospitals are under siege [eta: Here is mine]. If someone is not sick enough to need a hospital, they are keeping the hospital beds for other people who are. So you send people home, to quarantine. But the idea is not to "quarantine" with uninfected, highly suspectible people, like someone who is 100 years old. Because that is not a quarantine, and it will kill people. If that's what happened, many it's because a lot of people don't have a second house to go quarantine in, but it's not because this cocktail prevents someone who has the virus from infecting other people.
Being well enough not to be in a hospital has nothing to do with infecting other people. You are infectious regardless of symptoms. Of course, anyone sent home is told to isolate. Use your own bathroom. Live in the guest wing. Like that will happen in an imperfect world.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #937
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Being well enough not to be in a hospital has nothing to do with infecting other people. You are infectious regardless of symptoms. Of course, anyone sent home is told to isolate. Use your own bathroom. Live in the guest wing. Like that will happen in an imperfect world.
Fantastic. When you said, "Case report I know, but I have a friend whose 95 year old neighbor was given the cocktail, resolved in a day and then sent home to be with her 100 year old husband," I thought you were saying that the cocktail made the women safe to be with her husband, which is crazy to me.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #938
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Our friends' daughter is almost certain she had it. The hospital said "you're 30, stay home unless it gets bad." Those people do not count into the stats.

My son is back and fine. Current job is juicer in a high end supermarket. Not table side, volume. So he brings us juice each day, and we distance and it is really hard not to hug our son, and he is still fragile from being away, and it is hard.

And clients are starting to send freeze work letters.
And the thing is, my son is getting cold feet about working at a grocery. And it’s one thing to be a ER doc or nurse or whatever. But guess what? We are counting on poorly paid people to keep exposing themselves. We start bailing out workers, how should someone go into a market to work so you can eat?
Old 03-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #939
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
And the thing is, my son is getting cold feet about working at a grocery. And it’s one thing to be a ER doc or nurse or whatever. But guess what? We are counting on poorly paid people to keep exposing themselves. We start bailing out workers, how should someone go into a market to work so you can eat?
If grocery stores started raising their prices right now to pay their staff a risk premium, would anyone object?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #940
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
If grocery stores started raising their prices right now to pay their staff a risk premium, would anyone object?
Translation: I do not know a soul who doesn’t make 6 figures.

Stores raise their prices they’re gouging.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #941
Icky Thump

Quote:
Fantastic. When you said, "Case report I know, but I have a friend whose 95 year old neighbor was given the cocktail, resolved in a day and then sent home to be with her 100 year old husband," I thought you were saying that the cocktail made the women safe to be with her husband, which is crazy to me.
No, but she was asymptomatic within 24 hours, that's what I heard.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #942
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: Objectively intelligent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I get what you're saying, but I'd bet against the insureds. First, you would have to establish that your plane/hotel had coronavirus on it, and then what would your POR be? The day it took to clean the plane?
Over and over again?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #943
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine
& Azithromycin.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #944
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
I knew discussion of first party property BI claims would lure you back here.
Also, CGL claims for a defense against BI claims, however difficult to prove. And claims against governments that have waived sovereign immunity. Claims against pollution policies. Medmal claims. D&O claims against businesses that did not close. Worker's comp. claims. Claims under very specialized Lloyd's policies. Etc. This is full employment for insurance lawyers for the next five years.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:19 AM   #945
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Translation: I do not know a soul who doesn’t make 6 figures.

Stores raise their prices they’re gouging.
Friend, I have been sheltering in place for two weeks. I feel nothing but love for the people at my local grocery store, many of whom I know well and none of whom are rich, and my neighbors feel the same way. I don't want to set foot in the place at all, and the staff there is there all day, dealing with different people. I'd pay whatever they want.

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 03-27-2020 at 01:24 AM..
Closed Thread